Aglow & Arrow

Photography, Community, and Entrepreneurship

How to get over imposter syndrome





I think maybe as an artist we never are fully satisfied with our own work, but love the work of other artists. Maybe it's because we can see what we would've done better if we had more time or more resources. We all feel it, imposter syndrome. 

What is that? According to Wikipedia, it "is a psychological pattern in which people doubt their accomplishments and have a persistent, often internalized fear of being exposed as a "fraud"."

This is common in competent, high-achieving women. Well, well... who would have thought? 

I feel this way all. the. time. Especially in photography. 




I have done photography since I was a freshman in college. So I have a good amount of experience behind my belt, which would lead you to believe I am super confident in my work. But every time I go to shoot a wedding or take family photos, I feel like a complete mess. 

I feel like I'm not qualified to do what I'm doing. I feel like I'm not going to take pictures as well as another photographer. 

Maybe it's because I compare myself to other photographers and gawk at how beautiful their photos turn out, or maybe it's because the photos don't turn out exactly how I want them to in my mind. 

Either way, after I take the photos and edit them, and the finished products turns out beautiful, I am reassured that I have done my best work. But it doesn't matter how long I do this, I still get butterflies before any shoot.

What does this mean? That "fake it till you make it" isn't true, it is "make it till you make it." You have to go through the fire. You have to keep trying and gaining experience, and learning.  Thats how you get over imposter syndrome. 



Trust me, I still wonder when I will feel like I can fit in the ranks with other professional photographers. 

I mean what really makes you a professional photographer? Is it the degree? Is it having gallery opening? Or a certain amount of years working as a photographer, or is it the equipment that you use?

THERE IS NO ONE GIVING OUT CERTIFICATES SAYING YOU'RE A PROFESSIONAL. You give yourself permission to say that. 

For me, I think it's feeling like the quality of my work captures the essence of the subject that I'm shooting and maybe the photograph that I take is just so unique that it's not like anyone else's. I haven't really pinpointed it yet.




Where has your path taken you? Do you ever get imposter syndrome like me? What have you done to overcome this? I think the only thing to make you overcome this is to keep taking photos, keep working on whatever it is that makes you feel this way, until one day, you wake up and think, "actually I am good at this. I don't need to feel like this anymore."

I hope you find your way too.

xo
- Casi

No comments

Post a Comment

Back to Top