Aglow & Arrow

Photography, Community, and Entrepreneurship

The best tools for linocut

I started linocut back in high school but wasn't really into it until two years ago. I bought supplies and then didn't pick them up again until this year. I have become obsessed.


I think it's a really great lesson in how we change and our tastes for the kind of art we create change with us.
I have scoured the internet looking for the best tools to use and the best blocks. I know each person has their own taste, but I find the tinier the cut, the better. Whether you love Pfiel or not, it sure cuts the tiny lines so well and with such precision.
I started my work with the speedball package that you can get anywhere, but I started to want to do more fine and detailed carving. Most blogs and websites directed me to Pfiel. I ordered the small 11 u gouge and it took three weeks to get here! It came from Switzerland. I would have thought you could get it from art supply stores but no luck. I guess it depends on the art store.


As far as the blocks are concerned, the speedy cut is really nice and pliable, but for detail work, the battleship or block Lino works great. I think it's because it is so easy to carve that any move the wrong way causes a cut. The harder linoleum, you have to really push, and accidents due to minor movements are less.
I also really love graphite paper for transferring the design to the block. It makes it easier than having to rub the back of your design with graphite. You can get all of this on Amazon which is so convenient.
One thing I want to try is block printing with bass wood. I grabbed some from a local wood working store and mapped out my design. I'm wondering if I need to get more hardy tools for cutting into the wood. We will see. I just bought the sharpening strop for them, so if I need to, I can sharpen them after each go with the wood.


Crossing my fingers that this will go well!
What tools do you find to be the best for linoprinting? I am curious as to which paper people like the best for each kind of linoleum as well.
I'll keep experimenting and sharing!
- Casi

No comments

Post a Comment

Back to Top