Aglow & Arrow

Photography, Community, and Entrepreneurship

How to choose a camera

How to choose a camera


That is the question we always ask when we start out on our journey into photography. Let me tell you, I spent countless hours scouring the internet trying to answer this question.





What did I get? 

1) People scoffing at me or others about how inexperienced we/I was for asking such a question, because it really depended upon the kind of photography I wanted to do (which was valid, but not helpful).  

Like what is the point of going online, right? To learn!!!

2) A million different answers and kinds of cameras.

3) Recommendations using language and terms I didn't understand. 

4) More confusion. 

So, how did I overcome this? I finally just took the plunge and went onto craigslist and bought a camera. I decided, I might as well just try out a camera and learn how to use it and maybe I will figure it out. 

To be honest, it really doesn't matter as long as it is a dslr (which means it has a mirror inside and is a digital camera) that allows you to shoot in (M) which is manual mode. MOST cameras allow you to do this. 

Why is this important? Because, to become good at photography, you should learn the three most important settings: 

1) ISO
2) Shutter Speed
3) Aperture (or F-Stop)



As long as you can adjust those settings, it doesn't matter what camera you start on as I later learned. 


So, this isn't helping you right? You still feel insecure and need a good recommendation? Okay, let me give you a couple. 


I started with the Nikon D5300 (below), went to the D610 and now I have a Canon 5d Miii. I slowly moved my way up through to the high end camera based off of the things I learned that I wanted my camera to do. You will have to go through this process in all honesty.


So... with that being said, what I do recommend for every person, regardless of the kind of photography that they do is to invest money into lenses. Lenses make the photo, not the camera body. 

My two favorite lenses pictured above, 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8. I use the 50mm 90% of the time, either in weddings or at home! 

Below are some photos that I have taken with my old camera body and my 50 mm. 













Let me say that again. Lenses make the photo, NOT the camera body. Don't believe me? Look at this: 



You see the difference right? That is purely by changing the lens and shooting at the lowest f-stop. 

My best advice for anyone is to go onto craigslist, or now you can use Facebook marketplace and find a good used dslr and if you can, a 50mm lens. They can be super cheap and way worth the investment. 

The next thing you need to do is learn how to use those manual settings! 

Hopefully I get to see your awesome photos on our page, Aglow & Arrow

No comments

Post a Comment

Back to Top