Aglow & Arrow

Photography, Community, and Entrepreneurship

Raw Life & Detoxifying

 For a long time, I have battled with fatigue and my weight going up and down. I was also diagnosed with PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It happens in women who (typically) have some kind of insulin resistance. Crashes in blood sugar release a hormone that prevents the release of eggs from your ovaries and they turn into cysts. These are painful when they finally burst. 

My dad's side of the family has diabetes, and I assume I am at risk. PCOS also makes it difficult to conceive. Considering Herbie and I would like to try to have kids in the next couple of years, I decided it was time to revamp my diet. On top of having PCOS, there is a long list of family members who died from cancer. I know doctors say that a lot of it has to do with genetics, but I think a lot of it has to do with our environment. The book I am reading right now, The Beauty Detox Solution, talks a lot about how our fat cells grow to absorb toxins to keep from the rest of our bodies. I have done so much research on nutrition that I didn't know why this wasn't apparent to me from the start! I wasn't able to lose weight by eating tons of protein and boxed diet foods because that was creating/releasing toxins in my body. My body has been trying to keep me alive by keeping toxins in my fat, which explains why I can't lose weight unless i'm on raw(ish) veggie diet. Since I've started this, I have lost 7 lbs. Thats huge for me since I have been the same weight since I was in high school! 

I am hoping to move through this program and not only detoxify my body but lose the weight and control my PCOS. 

One of the best moves that I made (that I never skip) has been my morning smoothie and one of these salads at lunch. The smoothie recipe is below: 

Glowing Green Smoothie

1.5 Cups purified water.
3/4 bunch spinach. 
3-4 stalks celery. 
1 apple. 
1 pear. 
1 banana. 
1/2 lemon juiced. 

It sounds kind of gross, but I swear once you start drinking and eating this way, you realize what your body has been needing all along... nutrition. Preservative filled and boxed foods just don't have the enzymes and vitamins that whole foods have. Once I started eating this way at least 1/2 of the day, I noticed that I wasn't tired anymore or getting cramps from PCOS. 

Hopefully this post helps those of you who may be dealing with the same issues I have. 

xo Casi





No comments

Post a Comment

Back to Top