Aglow & Arrow

Photography, Community, and Entrepreneurship

My favorite hair care products

I hate to admit that I don't always love my curls. It is something that I have been embracing for awhile now and  I do spend more time with curly hair, but sometimes I really want my hair to just be long and straight.

Some people might gasp, "What?! If I had curly hair, I would wear it that way all the time!" Well, curly hair isn't as "easy" as you think!

I usually wake up, with my curls all crazy and not "pretty." So I have to "refresh" them:

1) Turn the shower on, flip my hair over, and get my hair sopping wet.
2) Pump gel and curl lotion into my hands, mix, and swipe and scrunch into my sopping wet hair.
3) Squeeze/scrunch excess water out and then do the same with a t-shirt or Deva Towel.
4) Flip hair back over and keep towel on my back so it doesn't get my work clothes wet.
5) Pray that my curls dry right

*3 hours later, my curls are somewhat dry and I scrunch them a little more to break the cast (aka any crunchy spots).

Sound fun and "easy" now? ;)
Didn't think so.

Not complaining! Just telling the truth!


So what products do I have to use on my crazy hair?

When I decide to go straight, I use Bed Head Urban Antidotes Resurrection shampoo & conditioner. This seriously saved my hair when I went platinum blonde and I still swear by it. It's like Unicorn blood. It keeps your hair alive even when its an inch from death (Harry Potter reference).


Curly hair is naturally dry and coarse, so using a thermal protectant is non-negotiable, however, many of these protectants leave your hair sticky and crunchy after using it. I can't do that. This stuff dries my hair out even more. I found an awesome product by Rusk called Elixer Mist. It doesn't have any hold, but makes my hair more smooth than anything else I would have used when straightening my hair. Plus, it smells like coconut goodness. <3



Finally, I get all of the water out of my hair and spray on Rusk either when its damp or almost dry.

I like to brush my hair when its wet and put it in a braid to let it dry. I feel like this makes it so much easier to straighten when compared to straightening curls. I usually never blow dry my hair since I am already damaging it with an iron.

What do I use for my curls when I go curly? 




Deva Curl, of course! Their no-poo and conditioners are the best.

- Deva Curl conditioning cleanser and conditioner
- Arc Angel gel
- Super cream coconut curl styler is like a curl lotion

I always use 50/50 gel and curl lotion. I feel like it makes my hair more touchable and less crunchy.

Finally, I never ever use a regular towel on my hair. Thats asking for breakage and frizz no matter what kind of hair you have.

Use a Deva Towel, T-Shirt, or pillowcase instead.

I would love to know if you have any tips or tricks that you do that help make your hair fab! Let me know!

XO
Casi

No comments

Post a Comment

Back to Top